This is what I consider a perfect Satuday lunch. I usually just make a simple grilled cheese sandwich and sometimes I even spice it up with some bacon, but Bon Appetit is not playing around with their version! Here is a grilled ham and gouda sandwich with frissee and carmelized onions….Oh my!!
One of my favorite things is carmelized onions. I could seriously eat an onion by itself if it is carmelized! Is that weird? The only other thing I would add to this masterpiece is some ketchup on the side. You can’t go wrong with a little ketchup (okay okay… a lot!).
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 1/3-inch-thick slices country white bread or sourdough bread
- 4 oz thinly sliced smoked ham, divided
- 3 oz Gouda cheese, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 large handfuls frisée, torn into bite-size pieces (about 1 cup), divided
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until onion is very tender and golden, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly.
Butter 2 bread slices. Place bread, buttered side down, on platter. Divide onion, ham, cheese, and frisée between bread slices. Top each with another bread slice; butter top slices.
Heat another large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook until bread is golden brown and cheese melts, pressing occasionally with spatula, about 4 minutes per side. Cut sandwiches in half diagonally and serve immediately.